Thursday, July 21, 2011

OKEtsy Featured Seller: Luksi Creations


Please introduce yourself and your shop.
Luksi Creations (family owned mainly run by me Kiamichi Goodbear) -Oklahoma City - Traditional Native American and non traditional beadwork, jewelry, illustrations, plush dolls, woodcarving, custom painted clothing, sewing (quilts, pillows, bags). There are 4 of us, and one apprentice, though right now most of everything is mine. I run this craziness with my mom Catherine and my sister Mauli and my husband Frank also make things for us. We are training my daughter in various things so she is also involved.


What is/was your inspiration?

When I was growing up, my grandmother was always making something. She was sewing me doll clothes for my barbies, she made my clothes, she made dolls, her and my mom would quilt, my mom taught me how to bead. It was just always part of my life. I love doing it. Which is why I think my business has such a wide variety of things. I learned to make doll patterns and clothing patterns from my grandma and my mom and I love making dolls. Doing that and the beadwork just make me happy. Plus I love to draw.


What is your favorite media and why?

Beading is mine. It is calming to me, plus it is part of my heritage. I do lots of beadwork for my family for their dance regalia and I also do it for other dancers as well. I have recently started doing more non traditional pieces for other people. It is very time consuming though. I think people don't understand the time that goes into it.


Where would you like to see yourself 5/10 years from now in this project?

I would love to be doing this full time and making a decent living from it. I wouldn't mind having a little storefront, someplace to sell things and maybe teach classes on how to do things. I would really like to teach beading classes.

Do you have any keys of success to share?
Keep working, build up an inventory. Get out there to shows, even if they are small ones. I set up in the Plaza District once a month and it has been a great experience. You meet people and you never know what kind of opportunities you can get out of it. I also market like crazy on twitter and Facebook and Tumblr. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Eventually sales pick up, they just started to for me! It's kind of exciting.

Tell us one thing crazy about yourself.

I can't sit still. I have to be constantly doing something. I get really fidgety if I am not making something, reading something, anything. It drives people crazy lol.

What is something you would love to learn how to do?

I would love to learn how to make stained glass. It's something I have always wanted to do.

What is your favorite color?

Mine is red, my mom's is yellow, my husband's is green, my sister's is purple, and my daughter's changes between purple and pink.


What is one thing you love about Oklahoma?

The people really are very helpful in a crisis. It always astounds me how the community comes together here when it is needed. I think it's amazing.


Check out this great local seller at the following:

Blog:
luksicreations.blogspot.com/
Twitter:
twitter.com/#!/LuksiCreations
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Luksi-Creations/245385691533
Tumblr:
luksicreations.tumblr.com/
Deviant Art Page:
luksicreations.deviantart.com/
Etsy Store: www.etsy.com/shop/luksicreations
Zazzle Store:
www.zazzle.com/luksicreations
My Portfolio:
kiamichigoodbear.carbonmade.com/

No comments: